Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Writers Block

I sit here staring at the screen with little in my head but when it can hit the pillow and end today.  For weeks now I have been working on an outline of scene for the second novel of my Raven/Wolf series.  I have one first draft that no long syncs with how I have improved my original story.

I have scenes I love and great chemistry between my characters.  Despite enthusiasm and praise it has received from those with whom I have shared portions of it, I find the narrative sprawling and lacking direction.  The mood is still intact and my characters are more or less behaving as I expect them to, the plot is thin and lacking in subtext.

I have listened to music, watched movies and read other books for inspiration.  Nothing.  Now at 9 p.m. and barely able to keep my eyes open-voila!  It hits me.  The entire outline came to me in like three minutes.  It now sits on in front of me, written on the back of a discarded print out in red sharpie.  I am a little whew that was a good sniff, about the smell coming off the page. 

I couldn't even write it in a linear form.  My points run diagonal and side was with arrows crossing over one another.  I have my villains, my surprise twist, my cliff hangers for all my heroes, a noble sacrifice and a painful compromise. 

What can I say?  Sometimes your best work and only solutions come from mind numbing exhaustion.  Sorry for typos and run on sentences that I know must pepper the preceding. You can expect me to unblock and punctuate on 4 hours of sleep a night.  But I promise you will love the prose.      

No comments:

Post a Comment